We have asked Kara Franker, beach-obsessed blogger at Kara On The Coast and editor-in-chief of Modern Luxury, to share her thoughts with us about her love for hotels, and Amberlair, of course. And before you ask, a #BohoLover is a Boutique Hotel lover… just like us!
How do you choose a hotel when you travel?
Location and style. I want to be within walking distance to the best hotspots in the area and I want the property to exude a distinct sense of style that makes it stand out from the rest. That could be artsy, luxurious, beachy, chic or some combo!
If you had to choose 3, which were the most special (boutique) hotels you have ever stayed at and what made them so special?
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa is by far the most amazing property I’ve ever stayed at. It’s on a private island in the Florida Keys that’s only accessible by yacht or seaplane.
Convento do Espinheiro, a Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa in Evora Portugal blew me away because of the history, charm and architecture.
Eau in Palm Beach is an exceptional stunner because the spa is like a wonderland for the all senses.
If you had your own boutique hotel, what 3 things would you make sure existed?
- A welcome glass of Champagne for every guest.
- Spectacular views from every room.
- Club lounge style access with multiple food presentations.
Name 3 things you loved in hotels you stayed in before…
- I’m obsessed with club lounge food presentations at all The Ritz-Carlton properties (that’s worth mentioning again! Lol).
- At the Naples Bay Resort, they gave me access to my own boat for every night of my stay…amazing.
- The romantic details the at the Henderson Park Inn in Destin, Florida comes to mind. They bring you a bottle of wine upon arrival, fix the most amazing brunch spread each morning, there are no children on the property (perfect for couples) and the beach views are second to none.
Name 3 things you wouldn’t want to experience in a hotel ever again.
- One time a window washer showed up unannounced on my balcony right after I stepped out of the shower. Not good.
- It baffles me when I show up to a luxury hotel and the service is sub par. It still happens though.
- I think it’s ridiculous when upscale hotels nickel and dime you for every little thing like beach chairs and umbrellas, bicycle rentals, etc.
How do you feel about the Amberlair concept?
I love it! I think it’s a brilliant idea.
Where are you off to next?
Four Seasons Resort Nevis for their 10th Annual Sea Turtle Weekend. I’m very excited!
Kara Franker is a Miami-based, beach-obsessed blogger at Kara On The Coast, editor-in-chief of a bridal magazine and a recovering lawyer who ditched the courtroom to be a writer.