It may sound cliche, but when it comes to an exceptional hotel experience, having a good night’s sleep is vitally important. After all, comfy hotel beds are the very essence of a hotel’s business.
At boutique hotels, the product is slightly different. Guests who stay in this personalised accommodations don’t just want a good night’s sleep, they want a great bedtime experience.
What do guests love about hotel beds?
Our #boholovers know a thing or two about sleep. Between them, they’ve snoozed through thousands of hours of hotel nights. They are the authority on boutique bedtime and it’s going to take more than a king size bed to lull them into the land of nod. There is a lot of discussion surrounding all-things-bed in our on-going traveller interviews and in a recent #LuxTravelChat, the bed was noted as one of the most unforgettable aspects of staying at hotels, second only to service. Bed linen is also critical, with premium bedding being ranked as one of the top ten most important in-room amenities. Mattress type also makes it onto that list with a decent mattress being the difference between a great night’s sleep and not sleeping at all!
“Hotels are selling sleep. Amberlair is in business of creating dreams.”
We’ve ‘un-made’ the boutique hotel bed and separated each aspect of it to determine the ultimate comfort.
We’re talking size and level of quality here. A vast king size bed enables guests to stretch out, watch a film in bed, sit up and read and crucially, sleep comfortably together. High on space and high on quality is key and many chains believe they’ve got the formula to the perfect mattress and are now creating their own (which you can actually purchase).
- High concentration of springs in certain areas for support and to minimise movement
- Impressive depth for majestic luxury
- Customizable pillow-top with soft to firm options for tailored support
- Cooling foam core for temperature regulation
Ahh the heavenly feeling of resting your head in a plush pillow is hard to beat. It’s all about the filling when it comes to pillows but everyone’s different and whilst some travellers like nothing better than a deep-filled feather pillow, others prefer a foamy version. That’s why having a choice of pillows is a great way to promote a restful slumber.
- Big fluffy pillows look inviting and also feel fabulous
- They should be new or noticeably freshly cleaned for peace of mind
- Choice of natural fillings like feather, down and hypo-allergenic synthetic fillings like memory foam
- Thinner, softer pillows for those who sleep on their backs
- Side sleepers will enjoy thicker pillows to maintain safe spinal alignment
- Those who sleep on their stomachs will appreciate an extra flat pillow under their hips
Duvets and blankets
Perhaps the title should be duvets or blankets. One thing’s for sure, this is the extra cosy element of beds and it’s important to get it right. Cultural and climate differences can make or break a guest’s experience so although sheets and blankets are the way to go in some parts of the world, in others, it’s all about the duvet.
- Duvets should be over-stuffed for maximum hibernation opportunities
- Blankets should have a designer edge – think cashmere or lambswool
- Feather and down fillings can cocoon and help regulate body temperature
- Synthetic fillings are sometimes seen as less uxurious but they can help guests who suffer with allergies
- Ensure duvets are cleverly stitched to ensure the filling stays evenly distributed for downy softness
A key aspect in creating a dream-like space is top quality bed linen. Our #boholovers like their sheets to feel luxurious and a high thread-count of extra long fibres is a great starting point for this. Colour is also important, with white being the obvious choice for its associations with cleanliness and purity – sleep in white bedding for a divine bedtime experience.
- Choose natural cotton sheets for maximum freshness
- High thread-count is important and whilst 200 with the right finish may be ok, 400 gives a premium feel
- Egyptian, pima, and Supima® cottons have extra long “long-staple” fibres for high quality softness
- Typical percale weave is tight and perfect for durability but sateen has a more enticing feel
Little extras for a truly boutique bedtime experience
Taking you to another level of sleep, the extra touches that really set boutique hotels apart are what every #boholover looks forward to. These finer details should be personal to the vision of the boutique hotel and tailored where possible. From sleep-inducing music and soothing scents that fill the room, to sleep masks and aromatherapy sprays to make your bed into a kingdom of dreams, there is an endless array of bedtime treats to becalm and delight your guests.
Before you drift off, tell us in the comments why an entirely beautiful bed is important to you – let us know about the basics and the little touches that elevate your sleep experience.