This week we have asked Carolyn Pearson of Maiden-Voyage.com, the global network for female business travelers, to share her thoughts with us about her love for hotels, and Amberlair, of course. You probably know already that a #boholover is a Boutique Hotel lover… just like us!
How do you choose a hotel when you travel?
Safety first, then location location location followed by pamper opportunities which play to my senses. Gorgeous textures, smells, cool vibes, interesting food – the W Istanbul is a prime example of this oh and it goes without saying, a salon standard hairdryer and coat hangars I can actually get out of the wardrobe.
If you had to choose 3, which were the most special (boutique) hotels you have ever stayed at and what made them so special?
The QT hotel Sydney – for quirkiness
Mt McKinley Wilderness Lodge, Alaska – for breathtaking scenery and abundant wildlife (and yes that includes bears!)
The Mondrian LA – It was whilst sitting at the Skybar that I had a lightbulb moment to create a global network for female business travellers. LA is such an empowering city.
If you had your own boutique hotel, what 3 things would you make sure existed?
- Unexpected little surprises left in the rooms such as personalised macroons, tasty treats or unusual pamper hampers
- Diptyque candles
- Sundays with a cool DJ and the longest, loungy brunch ever
Name 3 things you loved in hotels you stayed in before…
- The Hamam at the St Regis Hotel Istanbul
- The signature spa treatment at the Wyndjammer Landing resort in St Lucia. The spa staff had come together to create the most luxurious treatment I’ve ever experienced including bamboo, hot stones and signature blend hot oils
- Snorkeling from my own water bungalow steps in Baros in the Maldives
Can you see there’s a theme here? I’m a serious pamper addict
Name 3 things you wouldn’t want to experience in a hotel ever again.
Zero sensitivity to female travellers at a hotel in Aberdeen.
- Being leered at by tens of oil rig workers
- Being put in an annex on the ground floor
- No help with my bags despite my room being across a car-park (and it was snowing)
I could go on .. worst stay ever
How do you feel about the Amberlair concept?
I totally love it. One of my secret ambitions is to have the Maiden-Voyage.com members design their perfect hotel room for women travellers and I’m all for the guest getting the experience they want rather than having cookie cutter designers make assumptions.
Where are you off to next?
The Kempinksi in St Petersburg – I can’t wait it’s been on the bucket list for far too long!
Carolyn Pearson is the CEO and Founder of Maiden-Voyage.com, the global network for female business travellers. No more room service or dinner for one, women can connect up when travelling on business and check-out the delights of the city, safely, together. Meet up with local ambassadors who can advise on safe places to visit, local business etiquette and business dress codes meaning no more cultural faux pas!
Maiden-Voyage.com also recommend carefully vetted female-friendly hotels, run female business traveller safety training courses and webinars and also have a corporate traveller duty of care solution used by some of the world’s largest organisations.
When she’s not out inspecting hotels or flying the flag for women’s travel safety, Carolyn loves to sail, horse ride and hike the Yorkshire Moors.