We have asked Caroline & Rushan, the owners of Pure House Ibiza to share their thoughts with us about their love for travel and hotels, and Amberlair, of course. And before you ask, a #BohoLover is a Boutique Hotel lover … just like us!
How do you choose a hotel when you travel?
Our main criteria are aesthetics, location and exclusivity. Having explored travel blogs and searched for specific hashtags on Instagram we check social media channels and the website of hotels to get a feeling of the place. A quick confirmation on TripAdvisor rounds up our search. As owners of a boutique hotel, we are lucky to share a lot of good addresses and experiences of our like-minded clients from all over the world. Word of mouth is always the best way!
If you had to choose 3, which were the most special (boutique) hotels you have ever stayed at and what made them so special?
- Paradise road in Sri Lanka – Villa Bentota, nestled in a coconut grove on the seaside, Paradise road is a discreet boutique hotel designed with taste. Attractive contemporary artwork of Sri Lanka’s most famous artists is featured throughout the walls of the hotel. The Villa is magically romantic; the boutique is just irresistible.
- Casa Malca has the feeling of an intimate beach house perched above the sand of Caribbean Sea and surrounded by a lush jungle. Here, all is about art, the owner exhibits his amazing contemporary art collection. The perfect mix of unmatched luxury and ultimate privacy in Tulum’s white sandy beach and the laid-back atmosphere.
- Desa Seni Village resort in Bali. A few Java’s pavilions set amid a lush tropical garden, rooms offer views to the swimming pool or to the vegetable garden supplying the organic restaurant. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The yoga classes and spa with holistic treatment are spectacular.
More than hotels, they are houses personalized with a creative design and we love it!
If you had your own boutique hotel, what 3 things would you make sure existed?
Ahaha! We are running a Boutique hotel so it’s an interesting question, 3 things are not enough!
- A friendly and welcoming staff with and helpful concierge service
- Free Wi-Fi in rooms and all over the hotel is a given!
- Very comfortable beds for a good night’s sleep to rest your body and mind
Name 3 things you loved in hotels you stayed in before…
- Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok for the exceptional and personalized service of the staff and for the stunning view on the river from the bed.
- Inle Princess Resort in lake Inle (Myanmar) for the arrival to this haven by a small boat where the captain paddles with one foot. A timeless peaceful and intimate hotel. I have loved the spa treatments.
- Desa Seni Village resort in Canggu (Bali) for the feeling of living in a world apart. The best yoga class in Paradise.
Name 3 things you wouldn’t want to experience in a hotel ever again.
- Dirty and noisy rooms
- Impersonal welcoming
- Disappointing breakfast
How do you feel about the Amberlair concept?
Never heard of such an innovative concept before! It’s an amazingly inspired, creative, original and ambitious way to launch a Boutique hotel. We are looking forward to be one of your first guests.
Where are you off to next?
Casa las Tortugas in Holbox island is located at the tip of the Yucatán peninsula or Desa Seni, which is a healthy yoga retreat that gives you the feeling of being in a world apart. We have to make a choice between those two well-hidden paradises.
We both travelled far and extensively before finding the peace, the lifestyle and the incredible mix of people here in Ibiza.
Rushan is originally from Albania, he worked in one of the best hotels in Mykonos. In 2003, he came to Ibiza and ran a renovation company. Rushan is an artist creating furnitures and sculptures like our beautiful pieces of art, tables, lamps, …
Caroline is from Lyon where she worked as a photographer in a big studio, primarily shooting furniture and decoration developing her sense of style and decoration. In 2010, she decided to change her life and Ibiza was calling her.
By chance we met here in Ibiza in 2010 and started the Pure House Ibiza project together: an Agroturismo, with a boutique hotel feeling, filled with art and handmade craft pieces that are also for sale. Our lives bloom here together, as the hotel fuses our main shared passions: decoration, travel and interacting with other cultures, via contact with our cherished guests and our annual travels in the off-season.