How do you choose a hotel when you travel?
My first goal is to think what I want out of the vacation… reading by the beach? Enjoying the city? Hiking / adventure? Then I focus on the right location. Once I’ve narrowed down the location, I focus on the trip advisor reviews and specifically on the traveler photos. I think you get such a better sense of the hotel and quality by the traveler photos.
If you had to choose 3, which were the most special (boutique) hotels you have ever stayed at and what made them so special?
Four Seasons Hualalai – Remote, beautiful beaches. Lots of opportunity to connect with nature, take on an adventure or just relax. Stunningly beautiful!
Grand Hyatt Hong Kong – Situated on prime waterfront. Great food. Wonderful pool. Walkable to any of the cities locations. A great city hotel
A remote island hotel in Thailand – I don’t remember the name but it was a beach bungalow hotel. The only place to stay on the island. No electricity after 8pm and only one phone on the island. Remote and peaceful.
If you had your own boutique hotel, what 3 things would you make sure existed?
- Continental breakfast – a great way to start the day
- A comfortable lobby – to read, grab a drink, or just relax and meet others
- I would love a concierge that can give advice on the ‘local’ places to eat and shop. I always like to get to know where I’m visiting
Name 3 things you loved in hotels you stayed in before…
- Staff that anticipates your needs and helps make it an easy / comfortable stay
- Great food – especially appetizers around 4 in the afternoon. You come back from a day out and need to relax / eat something before prepping for dinner
Name 3 things you wouldn’t want to experience in a hotel ever again.
- Rude staff!
- Dirty sheets – eek!
- Thin walls
How do you feel about the Amberlair concept?
It’s a cool idea. I’m not clear however what the crowdsourcing will do for the hotel? Input on design? Services? Etc?
Where are you off to next?
Spain – I’ve never been there before so I’m currently in the exploration stage!
Mitzi Reaugh is the CEO and Co-Founder of GoodLooks, a marketplace of lifestyle experts.
Mitzi has spent her career working with leading digital media brands, such as NBC Universal, Hulu, Miramax and The Chernin Group. She enjoys travelling the world and is trying to be more adventurous in her eating!